The 11 Mottos
of Masutatsu Oyama
1. The Martial Way begins and ends with courtesy. Therefore, be properly and genuinely courteous at all times.
2. Following the Martial Way is like climbing a mountain. Continue upwards without rest. It demands absolute and unflattering devotion to the task at hand.
3. Strive to seize the initiative in all things, all the time guarding against actions stemming from selfish animosity or thoughtlessness.
4. Even for Martial Artists, the place of money cannot be ignored. Yet one should be careful never to become attached to it.
5. The Martial Way is centered in posture. Strive to maintain correct posture at all times.
6. The Martial Way begins with one thousand days and is mastered after ten thousand days of training.
7. In Martial Arts, introspection begets wisdom. Always see contemplation of your actions as an opportunity to self-improve.
8. The nature and purpose of the Martial Way is universal. All selfish desires should be roasted in the tempering fires of hard training.
9. Martial Arts begin in a point and end in a circle. Straight lines stem from this principle.
10. The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its requirements.
11. Always remember: In Martial Arts the rewards of a confident and grateful heart are truly abundant.